About this webinar
With Covid-19 many cities are considering how transport systems will need to change, the importance of green space and managing climate risk i.e. how to deal with heatwaves and flooding. Against this backdrop it is essential to consider the role of urban greening together with the associated improvements in things like air quality that bring to reality green-blue cities.
In this webinar discussion panel series we explore some of the issues relating to Urban Greening. With a distinguished panel of leading industry practitioners with extensive international experience we will consider the following issues:
- How / Does Urban Greening differ from to what is known as Biophilic cities?
- Is the focus with Urban Greening primarily about Sustainability or about Ecosystem services, or is it both? If both is there sufficient attention given to both areas?
- What should be the key components of Urban Greening - Trees, Water, Roofs, Bio-diversity etc.?
- How/ Can Urban Greening be properly addressed in development by planners and developers without strict planning directives?
- What can deliver the best scores and return? Is there sufficient knowledge & skills base and a range of available solutions?
- How might we summarise the benefits of urban greening? Can we do it in monetary terms? (Economic benefits, Health benefits, Quality of life benefits, Ecological benefits)
- Who bares the cost and who reaps the benefit of urban greening?
With these questions in mind we begin our series setting the context of how different cities have delivered urban greening projects and initiatives. Looking at the difference between Biophilic and urban greening and considering how cities in the UK are working on these projects along with exemplar projects from overseas.
Our discussion will be chaired by Paul Shaffer from CIRIA
Our panel of speakers includes:
Dusty Gedge President of the European Federation of Green Roof Associations (EFB), Director of GIC - The Green Infrastructure Consultancy Ltd and founder of Livingroofs.org will talk about Policy development: delivering green roofs and green walls.
Henry Steed the man behind some of Singapore’s most iconic streetscapes will share how Singapore has addressed the issue of urban greening and how legislation has been adapted to help solve the challenges of properly implementing Green Urban Infrastructure
Patricia Cuervo – Spatial Planning, Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea will share how climate change/ greening planning policies are developed.
Yvonne Tan – DP Green, Singapore will share her experiences of delivering urban greening projects in China and India
The follow up to this first session will be our second webinar entitled ‘Are urban greening targets deliverable in reality?’ will look at how urban greening can be applied in practice. Please click here for the registration link
This webinar is being delivered in partnership with ACO and Futurebuild Now.
Making knowledge accessible to the construction industry, the Colab platform offers practical learning opportunities delivered through live events, webinars and videos.
Share this webinar